Some actions for my fellow armchair activists. Click on the links for more information and to take action.
- Don’t Give Alberto Gonzales the Power to Speed Up Executions. You’ve got to read this just to believe they are even considering it.
- Demand the immediate release of renowned Iranian-American scholar Dr. Haleh Esfandiari, who is imprisoned for the 100th day in Iran’s notorious Evin prison, a location infamous for the torture and detention of political prisoners. Dr. Esfandiari, 68, is the director of the Middle East program at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington, D.C.
- As a consumer, support workers’ rights at the Tar Heel, North Carolina, Smithfield Foods plant, the largest hog slaughterhouse in the world. The mistreatment of injured workers – and the conduct of Smithfield Foods in past union elections at the Tar Heel plant – is completely unacceptable (and perhaps unlawful too).
- Fat lot of good that it will do, but go tell the Bush administration to reject the proposed Desert Rock power plant. Oppose the plans for a dirty, coal-fired power plant in northwestern New Mexico that would release mercury and other toxic contaminants into the environment, pollute waterways and threaten human health. A “global energy company” and the Dine Power Authority want to build the plant on the eastern edge of the Navajo Nation.
- Sign the petition for an independent investigation that would seek to establish whether the Bush Administration intentionally delayed the capture of Osama Bin Laden in order to justify the invasion of Afghanistan.